M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 Buffalo barrel Saginaw all original ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x-ray
Starting Member

Denmark
16 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile Send x-ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am contemplating on buying a M1 carbine

but its a little pricey, can you help me is it all original from birth untill now.
its from 8-1943 and has come too denmark from the US Thule airbase in greenland, the seller says he think its and all original with no rebuild, what do you guys think.

plz. se pictures in the link
You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
X-ray,
I would say that carbine has been through atleast one rebiuld , lots of late parts . Type 3 barrel band , flip safety , and pot belly stock just to start with .
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  1:50:15 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xray, Buffalo Arms only manufactured the barrel on that carbine. You need to look under the rear sight above the serial number to see what the name of the actual manufacturer of the carbine is. Don't try to remove the sight to see under it. The seller does not know what he is talking about. What price is he asking?
SM
Go to Top of Page

x-ray
Starting Member

Denmark
16 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile Send x-ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swampmolly

Xray, Buffalo Arms only manufactured the barrel on that carbine. You need to look under the rear sight above the serial number to see what the name of the actual manufacturer of the carbine is. Don't try to remove the sight to see under it. The seller does not know what he is talking about. What price is he asking?
SM

it is hard too compare prices, but ill try, he wants 900$ for it normally a mixed model costs 4-500$ here in Denmark.

how can I look under the sight without remowing it ?

regards x-ray
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  2:46:09 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need a good flash-light, look at an angle from the rear and you should be able to make out at least a few letters. It looks like a nice mixed model to me, but condition means a lot as far as price goes. By the way the slide hold open stop pin is missing.
Good luck
SM
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  2:49:22 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That serial number belongs to the first serial number block of Saginaw , Grand Rapids . This is the contract Saginaw took over for Pedersen.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the others have said it is a Saginaw Steering Gear carbine in the first block serial numbers that were assigned to the Irwin Pedersen contract that Saginaw Gear took over. It has been rebuilt post WW2 when it was upgraded with the latest parts which is typical of most carbines. The only way to see what has been changed and what hasn't is to take it apart and see what the parts inside are stamped. All will have letters stamped on them telling uses who the parts were made for and when. It looks like it should be a good shooting carbine. Around here the price would be in the $800 to $1000 range in general.
Go to Top of Page

x-ray
Starting Member

Denmark
16 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  08:49:35 AM  Show Profile Send x-ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx for all the answers, I really appriciate you taking time too answer and help me in my quest too find a nice carbine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2