M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Underwood
 1942 Underwood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buymore1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  1:39:09 PM  Show Profile Send Buymore1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased a 1942 Underwood M1 carbine from Blue Sky Arlington VA that was purported to belong to an aide of Gen George Patton. What is the best way, if even possible, to determine if this is factual?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is anyway to determine if that story is true or not, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is not. The guy you purchased your Underwood from is a very good salesman. Blue sky imported carbines from armories outside the US , I think South Korea, and were sold out of all kinds of chain stores or department stores , but anything is possible. I'm sure some of the senior members will be more helpful to you then me .
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  9:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the old saying. Buy the gun and not the story. It sounds like you bought the story. It would also depend on how much you paid for the carbine. An import like this one in good shape would be in the $600 range.
Go to Top of Page

Buymore1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  10:53:54 AM  Show Profile Send Buymore1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it from a co-worker who's father owned it, and thus the story. I hear ya though, a story is just that, a story. I thought maybe a serial number might help or something. I only paid $500 and it also included a like new Winchester .22 lr lever action so price was great I think.
Go to Top of Page

Pttsbrghpns
Advanced Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile Send Pttsbrghpns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
U did pretty good my friend
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no way to track down a carbine as to who it was ever issued to. The military didn't keep records except on the lower like company levels and those were destroyed by the end of the war. And yes you did very well getting the carbine and a Winchester .22 for the low price of $500.
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  10:18:41 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you paid a good price for what you have. I bought a couple of blue sky imported M1s from Woolworth back in the late 70's in the $80 range if I remember correctly. Needless to say that the story is just that and let it go, I feel very safe in saying it is in no way true.

Edited by - cali201 on 12/12/2013 10:20:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Buymore1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  12:49:29 PM  Show Profile Send Buymore1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way is there any way to track/trace the origins of this M1 Carbine by serial #? As I mentioned I recently purchased this 1942 Underwood, with the Blue Sky Arlington VA stamp on the barrel, serial #1357067. It has the original sling, all numbers match, bayonet lug in place, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  10:37:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reread my last post. The answer is NO!!!!! And it's not original if it has a bayonet lug barrel band. Underwood never used them. They were put on during a rebuild.
Go to Top of Page

Buymore1
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  12:02:10 PM  Show Profile Send Buymore1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it, thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2