M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 Saginaw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imjin138
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  10:20:45 PM  Show Profile Send imjin138 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently was given a Saginaw carbine that was purchased from the DCM in the 1960's. I don't know much about it but it does have the serial number stamped into the stock and colored white. It has an underwood barrel dated 1943. I still have not figured out to insert photos. But I have some any assistance is appreciated

stan

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  10:32:31 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stan, having the serial number stamped on the stock is not a DCM or armory thing. It is mostly found on firearms that have been imported back from overseas and not from DCM. Look on the bottom of the barrel for an import mark under the front sight area. It may be very small and look like a scratch on the barrel. The odds are no matter what it went through a rebuild as 98% of them did. If you can give us more information on your carbine we can help ID the parts and such on it. If the barrel is original to the receiver it would be a Saginaw Gear S'G'.( there are two Saginaw Gear
divisions who made carbines at the same time.) If it's marked S.G. then the barrel is a replacement. List the serial number and we can tell then which one it is.
Go to Top of Page

imjin138
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile Send imjin138 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here it is what I found after breaking it down, I took it down as far as I know how. The barrel is an Underwood 43 with Davidson's Greensboro NC on the underside in very small letters

The receiver is a Saginaw Gear works with a capital K on the left side and on the right side it has Q-NL stamped on it

The sling and bayonet assembly is stamped with a K-1

The tang block is marked with a W
The bolt is marked with a stamped HJ
The magazine release is marked with M
the underside of the safety is marked with a circle with an oblong box with wings on either side

I am not an expert by any means, the story I got was it was a DCM gun and maybe a Bavarian issue gun. I saw no Bavarian marks on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

stan

Edited by - imjin138 on 11/04/2013 1:16:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3322 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  1:27:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stan it's not a DCM carbine. It was imported by Davidson's back in the 80's. If there are no markings on the trigger housing, bolt or receiver then it's not a Bavarian. Most likely it was imported from Israel as those were stamped on the left side of the stock with a serial number and sometimes the number on the stock did not match the carbine that was in it. All of the parts you have listed are from different makers changed out when your carbine was rebuilt. The KI barrel band was made for Inland. The recoil plate was made for Winchester and so on.
Go to Top of Page

imjin138
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  2:09:21 PM  Show Profile Send imjin138 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sort of figured it was a good story a little to good to be true, the number stamped on the stock does match the one on the receiver. I do appreciate all the information.

I figured it was a parts gun and I looked all over for other markings and did not find any. But stories are always fun, but at least I had fun finding out the bore is bright and shiny and the action is good and it should make a good shooter.

stan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2