M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 CMP M1 Carbines
 iewin-pederson
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timmer
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile Send timmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Irwin-Pedersen that I would like to sell but don't know that much about them.From what I've read on the net it's pretty correct,serial 3,222,xxx.Any suggestions on what it's worth would be greatly appreciated.thanks
tim

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  1:12:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on and if it's been through a rebuild. If it has the adjustable rear sight, the barrel band with the bayonet lug then the value is about the same as a normal rebuilt carbine. But there are people who put a premium on anything marked with Irwin Pedersen so it's pretty much what ever the market will pay for it. If in good condition a rebuilt would be in the $800 range and depending
on the market yours could go for a bit more. It's hard to put an extra value on a second serial number block IP.
Go to Top of Page

timmer
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile Send timmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info.The barrel is a underwood,3-43,rear sight marked rg on right side and on one of the flips,front marked with a 3,stock p in circle and ri-ip?
in sling cutout.The safety is button,ip-w as is the mag catch.I haven't broken it down to check other marks but is in great shape.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  4:14:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If yours is an original as left from the factory made by S'G' then it's worth quite a bit. Pictures of it and all of the parts would help to let you know about what it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

timmer
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send timmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done more looking and found more marks.the handguard is IP,trigger group is IP and the hammer is only SG I can find.The barrel band is a type 1 but with no sling attachment point.I IP only made these from 1-43 to 3-43 and only made 7 parts in-house the underwood 3-43 barrel would be correct.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  3:20:32 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IP made carbines in December 1942. They lost their contract in March 1943. S'G' took over the contract on March 27 1943. All employees were fired, then most were hired by S'G'. All carbines that IP had made were rejected by the military as this take over had been in the works since 12-1-1942. On April 2nd S'G' had 50 carbines ready to go. All of these and the ones after that were receivers in the 1.7 million range. S'G' used good receivers that were in the beginning of the IP assigned serial number range and worked up from there. The first batch of carbines were made with all IP parts. When the 1.7 million receivers were done they then moved to the 3.2 million receivers that IP had already made. When those were done they then went back to the 1.7 million range and made new receivers with S'G' stamped on them to replace bad IP made receivers. As production continued any IP stamped parts that were finally used up were replaced with the same part stamped S'G'. Your 3.2 receiver was most likely assembled about May 1943.
Go to Top of Page

timmer
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  12:52:46 PM  Show Profile Send timmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info,this carbine researching can get very confusing.
Go to Top of Page

timmer
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile Send timmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found 4 or 5 IP carbines for sale or sold and they were all in the 1 million range none in the 3.2.Given equal condition is either range worth more as a
collectable?
thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3306 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed this last post but I will answer it now for you. The first block of numbers are a bit more collectible as they were the first of the IP carbines. IP had fallen way behind on their production because of bad management not because of bad carbines. The military needed carbines ASAP and IP could not make then fast enough. They knew they were in danger of loosing the contract so they started to stamp receivers in the second block of numbers to appear as if they were making progress. But numbers stamped on receivers are not completed carbines and they lost the contract anyway. Some collectors try to get an IP from each block but the first block seems to hold more attention over all.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3149 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  9:04:55 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And many of those IP stamped receivers were later assembled by Grand Rapids Saginaw. It is suspected that up to 35,000 carbines with IP markings could have been built. While scarce, they certainly aren't rare.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2