M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 CMP M1 Carbines
 ammo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyktorct
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  11:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send lyktorct a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased an Underwood carbine and brought it to the range this past week. I was lucky to find a box of Magtech 110 gr FMJ ammo and and a box of Winchester 110 hollow soft point ammo. I first fired about 15 rounds of the Magtech FMJ ammo and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy at 50 yards. However, when I began shooting the Wnchester hollow soft point ammo, my shots were all over the place, with one round missing the paper completely. Has anyone else had this experience with Winchester ammo? What ammo do you recommend for deer??
The barrel is an Underwood 1943 as well as an Underwood receiver. The barrel is in great shape as is the rest of the firearm. Thanks for your help

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3106 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  8:48:30 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every firearm is a rule unto itself. You need to try several different kinds to determine what your carbine likes. That is the best I can do.

OGCA Lifer, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

holemaker
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  12:44:35 AM  Show Profile Send holemaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Due to the gas port in the barrel, leading gas pressure to the piston that powers the extraction and subsequent chambering of the following round, I believe most would advise avoiding unjacketed or exposed-lead bullets in the.30 Carbine.

Edited by - holemaker on 12/28/2015 12:45:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3241 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some carbines run well with lead bullets IF the velocity is kept down to the 1600 fps area. Some people claim they can drive lead bullets as fast as FMJ rounds but what they may not see is the lead building up in the expansion chamber for the piston. Other carbines do not shoot lead at all as they are all over the target.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2