M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 CMP M1 Carbines
 X serial numbers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gunyhwy3
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  9:33:46 PM  Show Profile Send gunyhwy3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a GM Inland Carbine that begins with XC. I hear this was maybe some type of presentation rifle. Can someone let me know for sure? Are these more desireable? Thanks

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3241 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  10:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The X carbines started with the X1 to X100. Then they went to XA and so forth through XG all in blocks of 100. They were first set to be used for experimental work and for teaching aids as cutaways.Some were shipped to places like Springfield Armory for testing. They then started using them as presentation carbines.

The first XC carbine was given out on August 17,1944 and the last on December 7,1949. Many of these went to high ranking military officials and later many went to retiring GM employees. The last X series carbine an XG was presented on Oct. 21,1958. To collectors of presentation carbines they are very desireable but condition as aways is everything.
Go to Top of Page

gunyhwy3
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  11:59:38 PM  Show Profile Send gunyhwy3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply. Is there any documentation that allows you to trace these carbines back to the person or group they were presented too? This carbine is as presened condition. There are no issues and it is in NRA 90-95%. Any idea of the worth for this rifle based on this description?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3241 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no way that I know of to be able to trace who it was presented to. I cannot guess even how much a presentation carbine is worth as it was not owned by the military but by Inland/GM. The collectors who do collect these are few and far between but to them your carbine is very desirable. The more information you have on it the better but I take it you don't have very much info. You might place it on Gun Broker if you want to sell it with a reserve of say at least $2000 and see if you get a couple of collectors bidding against each other for it. If you do go this route be sure to include plenty of photos of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2