M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Commercial Carbines
 Auto-Ordnance Inspection with Observations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  2:30:25 PM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kruizer, what did that run you? If you dont mind me asking?

JP
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The stock that I chose is the one that is selected for beauty and color match. It cost about 200. There is some inletting to be done around the back of the receiver on the right side. This can be done with a Dremel. Just be careful. This stock was a disappointment in that there is too much wood removed at the front of the stock right behind the barrel band on the right side. The stock requires a bit of sanding up to 400 grit before staining. I finished mine with 4 coats of tung oil and a coat of carnuba wax. Hope this helps.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  3:17:11 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, today I am spending some time with my AO M1 and studying the magazine well. It is still not feeding correctly and it seems that the well is too long for the magazine or the GI latch is not holding the magazine forward enough to keep the magazine from flopping about. It seems as though the latch might need some additional metal added as I have put a shim between the magazine and the latch and that seems to stop the feeding problem. Then I think I need to polish the feed ramp to further resolve the feeding issue. Comments?

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  10:14:17 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your doing all you can to make your carbine reliable and it's too bad that with what you have gone through and done with it that it still is not up to pare. Keep your chin up and battle forward. We are all behind you in sprit so good luck.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  10:13:40 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna. I will try to keep you all up to date as I go along

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been playing with the AO a little this weekend and I have found that the feed ramp is a large part if the problem with sharp edges that catch the bullet as it is being stripped fro the mag. Also found that different mags will sit at different heights at the front end and that should not be that way. Getting to the point where I may go and visit a gunsmith to see if this can be sorted out.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  4:55:26 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had similar feed problems with my early QHMC carbine. I found that with the early type magazine catch the magazine was held "loose" and hung down in the magazine well. I tried a later M2 mag catch which is thinner and discovered that the mag catch detent spring actually pushes the magazine forward and it fits higher up in the mag well. This solved my FTF problem. Refer to this link for my previous forum discussion.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got 2 Fulton Arms magazines and a 3 pak of Wolff extra power Mag springs. They did not do much for the FTF problems. I resorted the the last ditch effort and had about .030" added to the latch faces of the mag latch and filed to fit. This holds the mag forward and up in the mag well. This seems to have done a lot to solve the problem. I have manually cycled ammo through the gun and no problems so far. so, the proof will be at the range. Too cold to shoot taday so I will update when I can.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  12:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took my gun to Texas with me and spent the last weekend with some friends. Shot for a while and the changes I made seem to have helped a great deal. Some mags worked better than others and had an occasional FTF but the gun is running much better.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

balthazar
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  11:50:02 AM  Show Profile Send balthazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so it is the spring of 2015, do they have all these probems correct.I just ordered a new paratrooper model. did I just buy trouble
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  6:24:41 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if you bought trouble but mine was a problem from the get go and I had to make some mods to it as given in the post of 11/20/2014.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

balthazar
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  05:20:41 AM  Show Profile Send balthazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will keep you posted. and thank you.
Go to Top of Page

balthazar
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile Send balthazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rifle came in. (ao 150) is here I will give the stock a score of 7. Function, operating performance a score 9. Fired 3 mags korean wilth great luck All in all I am pleased.
Go to Top of Page

balthazar
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  06:06:44 AM  Show Profile Send balthazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Federal americon eagle ammo used
Go to Top of Page

Bandit7
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  10:37:37 PM  Show Profile Send Bandit7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too had problems with my AO carbine. I polished the feed ramp and replaced the Op drive spring with a GI one from Sarco. It works much better. I hope it will continue to get better the more I shoot it as it still is not 100% failure to feed free. It is a shame that we have to do this kind of work on a new gun.

Bandit7
Go to Top of Page

marcus5
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile Send marcus5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a AO 150. I also replace the op drive spring with a GI and I replaced the mag catcher with a GI one. Mine functioned fine. I purchased these before the weapon came in. Learning about the problems from forums. I ran first with ran it with out the replacement. I had the same problems everyone else was having. As soon as I put the GI replacements, it ran like a champ no issues.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  3:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have measured the magwell on the AO and a GI and there is quite a difference. That explains the magazines sagging in the gun and the problem with FTF. It is a shame that these guys can't get a simple thing like magwell dimensions accurate.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

BucketBack

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send BucketBack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since it's probably a MIM part,JB weld should stick.
Go to Top of Page

okie
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  1:05:59 PM  Show Profile Send okie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kruizer, try replacing the magazine catch with one from Fulton Armory. This solved the problem on my AO.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already added .040 inch weld to the mag catch and that helped but I would need to add material to the top of the magazines to get a perfect fit.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

BucketBack

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  2:24:08 PM  Show Profile Send BucketBack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if you enlarged the mag catch hole 0.040" down on the mag, and added 0.040" to the top of the hole
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kruizer, you've been discussing this FTF issue since November of 2012. A applaud your patience. Parts have been modified, ramps have been polished, springs have been replaced and still you have FTF's. Your mag well is different and some magazines work okay and some don't. Let me say I think you have too many variables and maybe you need to start over. Even though it's been shown that AO parts and USGI parts are not necessarily interchangeable, I would suggest you replace all the following AO parts with USGI. You should get a NOS USGI recoil spring (not Wolff "Extra Power"), a NOS Type 4 USGI mag catch (it's the one made for the 30 round mag), a later type USGI mag catch/safety plunger and spring assembly (it's the longer one) and a USGI magazine with it's original USGI spring (not Pro Mag, Korean or other commercial mags). With this as a starting point, perform your range tests to see if you still have a problem. If not, that's great. If so, then at least we know the mix of parts you are dealing with and we can dig deeper into the cause.

I really believe the mag catch and spring is the answer to your problem. Like I reported in my post of November 16, 2014 (link below), I've solved the problem you described and I believe you can as well by just doing the same thing I did.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  8:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so everyone reading this knows that the NEW Inland carbines are for the most part are just hashed over AO made receivers and possibly barrels. Inland is making their own small parts by casting and are running into problems very much like AO. Plus their bolts are junk too. Best to stay away from both makes.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackp, I have done all the things you have mentioned. The gun operates much better but still has occasional FTFs. The only way I can get the mags to fit tighter is to add some material to the top front of the mags. That will tighten the fit and raise the mag up into the well far enough to make it feed reliably.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krusier, you may have corrected any problem with the rifle by following Jack's advice so lets say you may have some magazine problems also.
A fast check to se if the lips of the magazines are working correctly try the following. put 5 rounds in one of the KSI mags and tap the back of the mag on the bench to make sure the casings are all touching the back of the mag. Hold the mag steady with your left hand and start to strip the first round with something round about the size of a bolt. As the rear of the casing passes the cut out behind the lips it should pop pretty much pop straight out of the mag. No other rounds should move at all, if the round continues past the cutout and is still held in place by the lips you may have a problem, Houston. I am not advocating you should start bending the lips of your magazines just yet. See if any of your mags act like that and just use that one to test with and see if it helps.
SM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2