M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Commercial Carbines
 Auto-Ordnance Inspection with Observations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2012 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new Auto-Ordnance M1 showed up the day before thanksgiving and I have had an opportunity to to a deep cleaning and inspection. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall appearance and fit of the gun. Initially the action was rough and would bind on closing but after cycling the action about 100 times with some grease in the appropriate ares, it seems to work just like the one I qualified with in the military over 50 years ago. I have not fired it yet but that will happen soon. Overall, I am very happy with my new M-1.
kruizer

kruizer

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

elvis3006
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  11:20:06 AM  Show Profile Send elvis3006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your new AO M1 Carbine, if you find any function problems there is more than enough help and info on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  08:12:25 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took it to the range yesterday to check it out and had some issues. It does not strip ammo out of the magazine very well, jams ammo up against the breech but not into the breech, will not go into battery a lot of the time, handguard creeps forward as the gun fires when it fires. That all said, when it does fire, it is very accurate. It will be taking a trip to the factory to correct these issues. Customer service was very helpful when I called and hopefully I will have a fully functional gun soon. Later,
kruizer

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well good luck with your carbine and hope it comes back fully functional for you. Please let us know if you still have problems when it's returned to you.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna. I am hoping for better results than I have gotten from Taurus. Six trips to the factory with the same gun and it is still not good. They have tried though.
kruizer

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

dakotae107
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  05:19:41 AM  Show Profile Send dakotae107 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey kruizer, did Auto Ordanance take care of your issues? I have a new one in route and I'm wondering what I might be in for.
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  7:13:14 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My carbine came back from AO and appears to be corrected. I will be going to the range when the weather warms a bit and I will let you know more then.
kruizer

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kruizer, how is the Carbine working out since you received it back from Kahr/AO? Mine is also at Karh/AO for the exact same issues. I should be receiving it back within a week or so. I'm hoping for better results.

JP
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sherwood,
I have not had a chance to get to the range yet as the weather has been uncooperative so far. I have run ammo through manually and it appears that its working just fine and hopefully it will work that way under fire. Kahr was very helpful and got my gun back to me very quickly. Good lock and shoot safe.
kruizer

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir. Appreciate the response. I'll report back as soon as I get it tested.

JP
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sherwood,
I am finding that the magazine that Kahr ships with the gun does not work as well as the Korean aftermarket ones. Let me know what you experience with yours.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page

jandg
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile Send jandg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't fired mine yet but am a little underwhelmed so far. Had to return the weapon to the factor because the trigger assembly pin had been installed backwards and would not come out. Also noted that the anodizing/bluing (?) on the metal is very, very thin. Any abrasion at all takes it off. Once I get the amega scout rail installed, will be taking it out.

Edited by - jandg on 04/15/2013 1:17:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  04:48:27 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kruizer, you are right. The Korean and USGI mags are far superior to what AO sends with their carbines. In fact, once I get mine back I'm scrapping the mag. It doesnt seat right and constantly rocks which I did report to them as a likely cause (one of many) of the jamming. I went ahead and bought a USGI mag release, spring and plunger to add to my list of rebuild parts. There's an add somewhere on the forum here for a company selling the Korean mags for $14.99 a pop. I'm going to order a few of them Friday. Good luck. I have both USGI and the USGI Tooled Korean mags and both are really nice, quality mags compared to AO's.

Jandg, I am really sorry to hear that about the trigger group pin. That is just unacceptable. Let us know how it goes when you get it back. As for the parkerizing... Much like the rest of the gun it's pretty sub-par. I'm wondering who is over quality control there? It seems to be so hit and miss. A lot of guys here claim to have a great AO but when I go to read reviews or watch YouTube videos on the AO (something I wish I would have done prior to buying) I'm hard pressed to find one review where they find the gun acceptable from the factory, or one video where they didn't have a failure to feed/extract/fire. But I digress.. I don't want to get too far down the AO bashing rabbit hole again.

I'll report back in a week or so on mine. Y'all do the same?

JP
Go to Top of Page

Hacker
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile Send Hacker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why AO/Kahr hasn't spent the time/effort to improve their design (by which I mean, get it closer to USGI standard) over the couple years they've been producing it. Seems like everyone involved would be a lot happier with GI-spec and design parts interchangeability, as well as improved functionality of what they are sending out the door to sell.
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  09:07:19 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's mind boggling. Especially with all of the money/time they have to be wasting on repairs and warranty work. You'd think there would be improvements being made? I said this in another topic, but my Dad bought one of their Thompson 1927's (Tommy Gun) when Kahr/AO first re-introduced them. He had to send it back to Kahr multiple times and was never able to get the jamming fixed. That was several years ago. In my recent reearch after picking my gun up, I'm seeing these same feeding/firing issues with the Carbines from several years back. Now, I have a 2012 model Carbine with the same issues that people were reporting years ago?? Really??? How could a company release a firearm that doesnt work properly year after year?

The upside is that these do accept most, if not all USGI parts. They are "fixable". If they were more inexpensive to buy new, I would recommend these to anyone for a starter gun to build on.

JP
Go to Top of Page

Hacker
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  8:18:58 PM  Show Profile Send Hacker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's also remember that the AO M1 Carbine is essentially the same as the IAI carbine (AO was machining receivers and barrels for IAI before IAI went bankrupt)...which was essentially the same as the Iver Johnson carbine. Their 'non USGI' design goes back directly to the 90s, and extends back to the 70s with the Iver Johnson design.

They've had a long time to bring the design back to USGI standard, but for some reason choose not to. I don't understand it.
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right! Hacker, I didnt realize they were along that same family. That's not good at all.

Hey Kruizer, how long did it take for you to get your gun back from AO? They've had mine for 3 weeks now and when I call or email for a status they tell me "unfortunately due to the volume of guns we are working on we are unable to give a status or tell you when it will be shipped back." They cant even notify me of a tracking number or at least a time frame. In addition to this they are requiring a signature upon it's return. How am I, or my wife supposed to know to be there to sign for it if we dont know when it's going to arive? At any rate, I'm not too happy with their service thus far.

JP
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  7:15:01 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"unfortunately due to the volume of guns we are working on we are unable to give a status or tell you when it will be shipped back."

Let that be a warning to all who are thinking about buying one!

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  04:09:40 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately you are right Jim. On the upside I did harp enough yesterday to find out that it is being shipped back today. When will it get here? I don't know. All I know is it's coming FedEx and it requires a signature. I'll give a range report the week after next. I'm hoping to have SOME success.

JP
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The AO is back from the shop. I'll report back soon.

JP
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Initial Thoughts: I havent had the chance to fire it yet but I wanted to give my initial thoughts after receiving my AO M1 Carbine back from getting repairs at Kahr/AO. First impression when opening it up, I forgot out pretty the gun is. They did do it justice in the looks department. The gunsmith report that came with the gun was vague but said that they replaced the entire bolt, trigger guard, and replaced the mag. The report also said the gun "test fired OK". I'm wondering how many times they fired it? At any rate, the action feels good... still not as good as my Inland but that is also a well used 70 year old gun. I didnt manually cycle anything through it just yet to see if it would run the mag ok, but I will very soon. I immediately tore it down to take a look and to try adding on a few of the goodies I bought for it.

I wanted to start with some minor things that would not hurt my testing when taking it back to the range. The items I wanted to start with were the basics every AO Carbine Owner should start with... a USGI Recoil Spring, A USGI Recoil Plate, and a USGI Type III Barrel Band. Unfortunately, I was only able to install the Recoil Spring. The Barrel Band would not go on without working the wood down a little on upper handgaurd (I'll work on that later), and the USGI recoil plate was shorter from the front of the plate to the screw hole than the AO's version. Does anyone which USGI brand fits them better? I beleive the one I have is a Saginaw or Inland. I'll double check. As for the recoil spring, the "real" USGI recoil spring is noticeably the better spring when doing a side by side comparison. At the very least, I was able to get that in and the action did improve.... in my head anyway.

The mag seemed to be the same mag I sent to them to test with but I could be wrong. The spring and follower moved fine and I could load rounds into it. I did notice that the mag sat better when popped into the well. Maybe that's the reason for replacing the trigger gaurd??? However, it still doesnt give that reassuring "click" letting you know that the mag is fully engaged. My Inland and Universal both give that "click" or "snap", and I love it. The AO makes little to no noise and I find myself always double checking. I'll be replacing the Mag release, spring and plunger eventually.

Still to come, I have a complete bolt rebuilt set, trigger/hammer spring and plunger rebuld set, and a dremel kit for polishing the feed ramp. Before any of that, I want to see how the gun does with just the recoil spring, and then go from there. I'll report back soon, hopefully Monday after a visit to the range this weekend.

JP
Go to Top of Page

hammer5513

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  4:43:17 PM  Show Profile Send hammer5513 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
glad you got it back safe and sound. I used an inland recoil plate and it sealed up tight. as for the barrel band on mine, I had a blued stamped one laying around so I used that. probably not usgi, but it was flimsy enough to allow me to manipulate it around the stock and screw it up tight so I did not have to shave away the stock. I would suggest trying to modify your barrel band prior to shaving and then restaining your stock.
Go to Top of Page

Hacker
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send Hacker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen this comparison between an early AO and a USGI? It covers some of the differences between the two.

Wondering if the current AO that you have still has these differences?

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  09:11:39 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great. Thanks guys.

JP
Go to Top of Page

sherwoodpfifer
Advanced Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  09:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send sherwoodpfifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Kruizer, sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I'll continue this on a new one until you are able to report back on your AO.

JP
Go to Top of Page

kruizer
Greenhorn Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send kruizer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,I ordered a Fulton Arms stock and type 3 barrel band for mine because the stock on mine did not fit well and was loose enough to cause problems with the function of the gun. While the new stock fits well, it certainly isn't what I would call a premium stock. The action now functions well with the Korean mags and I will put up a range report soon.

kruizer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2