M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Irwin-Pedersen
 de-valueing an irvwin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nilla
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile Send Nilla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i recently aquired an irwin pedersen M1 SN1779XXXX
i wanna shoot it, but i don't want to devalue it in doing so.

the wood stock and action look to be in good shape, but the reciever rails and bolt lugs are worn and polished smooth.
it looks to me like it has been fired before.

i think this is one that Irwin-Pedersen started, but Saginaw assembled and finished.

underwood barrel C-44 with flaming ordanance logo, type 3 barrel band stamped J.M.O., 4 rivit hanguard with shallow sight groove, the stock is a low-wood oval-cut stamed with IR and the flaming ordanance in the sling cut# on teh left and initals on the right, and a 10 on the bottom of the hand grip, N stamped front sight, adjustanble rear I.R. CO stamped sight, push button saftey, 'M' stamped mag release with E.I. on the left end, SG stamped hammer and slide.

this signature intentioanly left blank

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  10:51:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have an IP receiver that went through a rebuild. That is when all of the updated parts were added and the barrel changed. The IR marked stock would be a late war replacement stock. It very well could have been an IP receiver that Saginaw S'G' finished making a carbine with. I don't think you will devalue it by shooting it as it's been rebuilt. So go ahead and enjoy shooting it.
Go to Top of Page

Nilla
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  8:26:07 PM  Show Profile Send Nilla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm not arguing,but asking to understand.
what denotes that it has been rebuilt?
the stampings on the sides of the butt stock?
does it have a different barrel than what it origionally came with?

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that it has a bayonet lug is the first rebuild clue. As built, it would have had a type 1 band. The Robert Irwin stock is another rebuild indicator. Also, none were originally made with adjustable rear sights.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Nilla
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile Send Nilla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thankyou so much for the knowledge and explanation of facts, guys!
i'm not sure what to ask next, but i'll listen to any more factioids and/or information about my rifle that you guys care to produce or point me towards.

i'm learning now that there is so much i don't know about these beautiful carbines. with so many millions being made in such a short ammount of time, it takes some digging to know exactly what all the facts are. from reading up on bavarianm1carbines i know some, but there is still so much more.

i'm taking it with me to the range tomorrow and i'm sure i'll be back on here with some praises and i can almost garuntee i'll have more questions.

Go to Top of Page

Nilla
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  3:53:08 PM  Show Profile Send Nilla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where do you guys buy ammo from?
i'm not looking to reload just yet ...

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  12:40:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about any gun store should have ammo for the carbine. Not cheap anymore but try to stay away from the steel cased Russian made ammo. Very dirty,not as accurate and could damage the extractor on the bolt. Best to get some brass cased ammo. Might even try a local Wal Mart as some of them carry it. On line try AIM surplus or SOG for ammo.
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile Send jlwilliams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While your at walmart, pick up a copy of Shotgun News. Lots of good ammo adds.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2