M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Saginaw SG
 just purchased...have questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RBT
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  2:21:09 PM  Show Profile Send RBT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last evening a fellow canme into our shop and I bought the following M1 carbine-
Barrel stamped "Saginaw S.G. Div", below that is "General Motors". Both of these are just below the front site. About 8 inches below the front site there is a "P" stamped.
Right behind the action is stamped "Saginaw S.G." and below that is the serial number.
Inside the cavity where the slong goes there is a "M-U" stamped.
The rear site is flip type.
Can anyone tell me if this is genuine and not re-work in any way?
Waht does the "P" stamp on the barrel mean?
What does the "M-U" mean?
This is my first M-1 carbine but won't be my last. I've wanted one for a long time.

Thanks for anyone's help and time.

RBT

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  4:52:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The P on the barrel means the barrel was proof fired. The M-U in the sling well means the stock was made by Marlin Firearms Company for Underwood not Saginaw Gear. Are there any other stamps on the stock like a U or STD over Prod on the left side of the stock? What kind of barrel band is on the carbine? Does it have a bayonet lug on it? Are there any markings on the rear sight? Pictures of your carbine would help to say if it's a rebuild or not but at least the stock has been changed.
Go to Top of Page

RBT
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile Send RBT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna-
I can find no stamps of any kind on the stock. I'm not sure waht you mean by "kind of barrel band" but this one is open on the left side with a threaded fastener where I assume the sling swivel went. It has no bayonet lug.

I was told by the guy I bought it from that this M1 was brought home from WW2. The guy that brought it back was a corpsman on the USS Wing Arrow. I know both of the parties involved and I realize that stories get fuzzy over the years..but is it possible that this M1 was issud with a Marlin Stock stamped "u"?
Thanks for your time and help and I'll get some pics out ASAP.

RBT
Go to Top of Page

RBT
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  10:35:39 PM  Show Profile Send RBT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK guys and gals...I have checked this m1 out from top to bottom. Here is what I have....Just above and behind the trigger housing, right side, is what I would call a crest that appears to have "inland" inside it. I can make out the "INLA" but nothing else. The hammer itself has, about half-way up, a "TH". The heavy "block" that holds the action close, in front of the what I would call the main spring, has SG on the underside. On the left side, just below the breech is also "SG".
The top-side wooden hand protector has something that is hard to make out...on the breech side there is an unknown insignia, but to the muzzle side of that is what looks like a "TT" or "7T" or "II"....
Any information would be appreciated. One thing..this stock is too "shiny"..I am starting to think that someone "refinished" it. There is obvious varish stains on the buttplate.
Any help is appreciated.

RBT
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  12:09:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could the handguard be marked TN? Saginaw Gear used RSG marked in the sling well stocks. The trigger housing was made by Inland and the hammer is a late war/post war replacement. The slide is Saginaw. Putting this information and the stock together,it is saying the carbine went through a rebuild sometime post war like the vast majority of them did. Varnish was not parts of any rebuild as you well know so I would take the bring back story with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

RBT
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile Send RBT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna-
Thanks so much for that info. I cannot see the "TN" at all on the handguard..but I'll check again tonight just to be sure.
As you suggested, I am taking the "bring back" story lightly...but I still love the gun. So, what is "commen" in these cases..remove the varnish and bring the wood back to the original linseed oil finish or leave it as it is?
Is it proper to ask what the approx. value of my M1 might be?
Thanks again for youe help.

RBT
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3142 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  7:03:56 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of us clean the stocks. Use a good stripper, but don't "soak" the stock. Make sure you remove all of the stripper and DO NOT SAND the stock. Use linseed cut 50/50 with thinner to insure the oil soaks in well. If there are any markings left on the stock, this should bring them out.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3283 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  11:06:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good advise from Jim on the stock. As to value well it depends on several things. Location seems to play a role as the value seems to be higher in some areas of the country and lower in others. In general from $500 to about $800 in general but all depending on condition. The better conditon the higher the value.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2