M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Uncommon Variants
 Can I get some information on Rock Island Arsenal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnt44130
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Send johnt44130 a Yahoo! Message Send johnt44130 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two Rock Island carbines. One is marked Rock Island Arsenal, serial # is 224; the other is RIA serial # C93. I was told that the second carbine was used in M-2 development in 1943??? The development claim would seem in keeping with the history and function of Rock Island Arsenal. Any information would be appreciated very much I also have an early Inland which appears to be a clone of the carbine in the photos of the forums. It has a six digit serial number, flip-over site, push safety, no bayonett lug, and was a DCM purchase about 42 years ago.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to get a photo of the first one where it says Arsenal and the serial number on the receiver?
Go to Top of Page

johnt44130
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  4:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Send johnt44130 a Yahoo! Message Send johnt44130 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll get one (photo) ASAP....Thanks
Go to Top of Page

johnt44130
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  6:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Send johnt44130 a Yahoo! Message Send johnt44130 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry.....The Mfg. name is obscured by the rear site...only the serial # is readily evident...when I bought the gun 20+ years ago the owner had to drive the site out of the dove-tail to show me the name...Nothing to photograph but the serial #....I suspect that the RIA was one done up by Springfield Armory after WWII.... Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  9:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rock Island carbines are commercial carbines were made in the late 70's. The first 500 of these used receivers made by National Ordnance before National sold the tooling to Rock Island. In the early 80's another 400 barreled receivers were made and a third lot of 100 barreled receivers were made in 1984 for Springfield Armory the sister company to RIA. As you can see they had nothing to do with WW2. No armory operated by the government ever made carbines. RIA rebuilt them and Springfield Armory made replacement parts as well as rebuilt them. All USGI carbines were made only during WW2. Your carbines are considered to be some of the best made commercail carbines.
Go to Top of Page

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  10:07:33 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just my opinion and I certainly don't have the carbines with me but I suspect both are Rock Island Armory carbines. They had 3 known different ways of stamping their receivers (2 are shown at You must be logged in to see this link. ) and another shown in War Baby! Comes Home looks like:

Rock I.A.
B 26

Rock Island Arsenal manufactured some carbine parts, rebuilt carbines, and converted M1 carbines to M2 carbines but I couldn't find anything anywhere on their manufacturing a carbine receiver.

I've been wrong plenty before and certainly could be wrong this time, but that's what my sources lead me to believe.

Go to Top of Page

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops, didn't see Tuna's before I hit the send key, sorry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2