M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Commercial Carbines
 Alpine receiver questions....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm picking up an Alpine carbine on a trade, and have been trying to find out all I can on it. I own a sweet Winchester carbine and really am getting this one to shoot regularly.
From what I've found, the receivers are either re-welded USGI receivers, or investment cast.
Which one would be stronger?? I know that AK milled receivers are being re-welded by the dozens with no problems.
This one has an inland barrel on it, and a round bolt, with other GI parts.
How would I tell if it is rewelded or cast?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  11:23:59 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Good info. Doesn't mention welded receivers. The advice I have been given is to stay away from welded receivers. Very interesting. information about their barrels too.

Good Luck

Jack
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  4:15:13 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it today!!

The slide is the full length...thank God.
Here's the markings...
Trying to find out what they mean.
Trigger housing: SG
Rear Sight: SA
Safety (push button type): "EW"
Barrel: Inland/General Motors
Trigger: WMG
Bold: U
Slide: X
There's an RI in there somewhere. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated.
All in all...aftermarket walnut stock, round bolt..should shoot great!
Go to Top of Page

War Eagle

54 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile Send War Eagle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SG Saginaw
SA Springfield Armory
Winchester push safety
U underwood
X inspector's stamp PI in box Inland
RI Inland sear or trigger
WMG WMB hammer?
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  8:05:31 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by War Eagle

SG Saginaw
SA Springfield Armory
Winchester push safety
U underwood
X inspector's stamp PI in box Inland
RI Inland sear or trigger
IBM hammer?

GREAT!!! It's a WMB hammer. Thanks very, very much war eagle!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  1:58:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WMB would be for IBM.
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  7:06:44 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is quite an amalgam of parts...turns out that the only thing on this carbine that is not USGI is the receiver...
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  7:31:58 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  12:31:42 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alpine was part of National Ordnance. They made carbines from 1962 to 1965. About 17,000 carbines were made by them. One sourse reported that some Alpine receivers were made from scraped demilled USGI receivers. As part of National who started making carbines in 1960 Alpine also used USGI parts till the supply was exhausted. National was reported as also using demilled receivers and receivers from overseas that were reported as being on the soft side.
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  5:58:20 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
egad...should I get another receiver?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  7:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because they may have used some scrap receivers doesn't mean yours is one of them. Look at both sides of the receiver and look for a difference in color. A welded receiver does not take the bluing or parkerizing as well as normal steel. If there is a discoloration then you very well may have one but if not then your receiver is most likely fine.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3125 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  8:45:44 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also have the headspace checked just to be on the safe side. They usually don't have problems, but it pays to be safe.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Headspace is good.
The receiver is fine...was a bit rough on the feed ramp and needed some polishing, but feeds SP and FMJ ammo without fail. Lovely little carbine I lucked into here...Cheers to all!
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1376 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it nice to get a good find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
M1a1's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sjglenn
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  5:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send sjglenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had the bolt fall apart on me...turns out the guy who owned it before me forgot the extractor plunger when he re-assembled it. I got it back together with some parts from fulton's and she runs like a champ!!! Couldn't be happier with this little gun.
Go to Top of Page

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always forget the firing pin. Makes for quieter shooting.

Jack
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  10:11:29 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dads Alpine carbine's reviever is a rockola AS ARE MOST OF THE PARTS IN IT THAT ARE MARKED
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  07:01:34 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was a good find. The early commercial carbines I've seen dressed in GI barrels have asking prices at-or-above those for a good USGI shooter. People that only know the gun by name will always think of it as just another commercial carbine, but the people that know and appreciate it for what you have will recognize it as a USGI carbine wrapped-up in a commercial receiver. Good Find!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2