M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Bavarian Carbines
 OberÖsterreich
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveTMS
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile Send DaveTMS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased an M1 Carbine and have been doing some research on this handy little rifle. This is what I know:

The serial on my Carbine is 3,418,XXX, manufactured by Saginaw Steering Gear in Saginaw, MI, between May 1943 and February 1944.

The Underwood barrel is dated 12-42 and was likely installed when the rifle was arsenal rebuilt after the war. The "bomb" insigna is on the barrel and in the correct distance from the muzzle. Also, the barrel diameter is the correct as measured with my dial calipers.

The Bavarian serial number on the trigger group is LGK 00 1682. This indicates that the rifle was sent to the Austrian Gendarmerie (Police) in OberoÖsterreich (upper Austria) in 1955.

The rifle's serial number is stamped on the stock (where the sling cut is) and handguard (underneath).

The bayonet lug was (appears to have been) cut off.

The trigger group housing is plum color.

The bolt has the S\N hand scrawled on it.

The rear sight appears to be a Type III and is steaked into the receiver.

Since I am a beginner in this, I am obtaining my information from the book "for collectors only" U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, and from the website Bavarianm1carbines.com. If anyone can "shoot some holes" in what I've posted, or provide me with some other areas to look at, please feel free.

Thanks.

Dave

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

mjanway

USA
728 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send mjanway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You certainly are referring to the right site (Bavarianm1carbines.com). You might want to e-mail them and let them know what you have. Next step as you could probably tell on the site is to start identifying the parts on your carbine. Each part of a carbine, for the most part, is identified by a one, two, or three letter code that identifies the maker and whom it was made for. You will see examples of that one the Bavarian carbine site.

And welcome.

Jack
Go to Top of Page

42CRMO4
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  06:37:59 AM  Show Profile Send 42CRMO4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see some fotos of your carbine!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  10:20:14 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, welcome to the forum from New Mexico! It looks like you are off to a great start with your new carbine. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I wonder why the bayonet lug was cut off. That's not something that the Germans would have done. Or maybe it's a Type II? The Carbine Club created a handy data Sheet form that you can download to record the details about your carbine. It will help in your future research. Here's a link to a printable file.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  05:10:24 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome from Switzerland to.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3285 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  10:58:44 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys this post started over 4 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  2:46:17 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duh! Mieux vaut tard que jamais!

JackP
Go to Top of Page

rhineriver1
Advanced Member

Switzerland
271 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  03:28:30 AM  Show Profile Send rhineriver1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And he never got an answer??????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2