M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Uncommon Variants
 Mystery m1 carbine receiver
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hiller
Advanced Member

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  6:45:37 PM  Show Profile Send hiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good one. Anybody have a clue who made this receiver? No name just a serial #. Even the serial # is odd. It reads 158141. Then there is a little # seven to the right and above the last # 1 in the serial #, as you can see in the picture. The receiver says: U.S. CARBINE
CAL. 30 M 1

The only other mark is on the bottom of the front lug. The lug is marked with a capitol G . The G is just barely visable in the pic if you zoom in. The receiver has an index mark for barrel alignment. I'm sure it's not usgi. The piece is forged and i have compared it to several usgi rifles and it compares very well but is not identical to any of them. I have looked at all the commercial carbine info sites and just can't figure out who made it. I was thinking about stamping my last name on the receiver and building a "hiller". I have a bunch of unmarked parts like mag catch, rear and front sight, Flip safety, commercial unmarked barrel, ect... I could stamp "h" on all the small parts to match. I know the idea is a bit self centered. Any ideas on who the manufacturer was would be appreciated.

Regards, Hiller........

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - hiller on 09/23/2010 05:09:51 AM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

imarangemaster
Advanced Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  9:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send imarangemaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a GI that had the rear behind the sight bridge ground off and hand stamped. Maybe a demill.
Go to Top of Page

hiller
Advanced Member

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  05:00:46 AM  Show Profile Send hiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi rangemaster, I think you might be right about the sight bridge being ground down and re-stamped. When you say "demill". Are you saying the receiver could have been cut and then re-welded?
Go to Top of Page

TiredRetired
Advanced Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  9:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send TiredRetired a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a punchmark in front of the rear sight dove tail. That was the proof mark applied after the test firing of the proof round required by Army Ordnance prior to acceptance.
Go to Top of Page

hiller
Advanced Member

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  06:11:06 AM  Show Profile Send hiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. This makes me wonder why the serial and maker were ground off in the first place. Maybe the reciever was salvage.
Go to Top of Page

hiller
Advanced Member

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile Send hiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this to perhaps explain the absence of a makers mark on my receiver. Info from a german/bavarian m1 carbine collector site.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Qoute from BavarianM1Carbines.com:
"More than a few sources have indicated the Landespolizei in the American Occupation Zone in Hessen removed "all" of the visible U.S. markings from the M1 carbines they received. In October 1945 the Allied Control Council ordered all weapons used by the police in all of the occupation zones must be marked in a manner that identifies the agency using the weapon. As noted in other areas of this website, this order did not indicate how this was to be accomplished. The U.S. Office of Military Government (OMGUS) for each region under their control issued the orders as to how the carbines would be marked and each land in the American Occupation Zone received different orders on how this would be done. The few examples that have been observed by several people, they have indicated the serial number, manufacturer, and other receiver markings were removed. They did not indicate if this was also done to the barrel."

What do you guys think?

Hiller..........
Go to Top of Page

chuter
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  7:59:22 PM  Show Profile Send chuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiller: I'm looking at a "US Carbine" gun later this week. Any further info on who really made them or history of the guns?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  1:53:22 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 different companies with 11 different makers of carbines during WW2 with over 6.2 million of them made in less then 3 1/2 years. Not enough space or time to detail any of the over whelming amount of information on all of these companies. That is why we all just take them on one at a time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2