M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Bavarian Carbines
 Bavaria police
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

tjl
Advanced Member

404 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  9:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send tjl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a bavaria rural Police stamp

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

MrJitters
Veteran Member

USA
1923 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  04:33:14 AM  Show Profile Send MrJitters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx, very interesting!

MrJ

Then conquer we must, for our cause is just, and this be our motto --"In God is our trust."

GCA & NRA Member
Type 03FFL C&R
Go to Top of Page

m1mike
Veteran Member

USA
2032 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile Send m1mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those guys must have been bored........All that work!!! I guess it makes for more Carbine collecting excitement though.

Go to Top of Page

tjl
Advanced Member

404 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  7:52:50 PM  Show Profile Send tjl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was on a Rockola receiver that was pretty decent. Heres a shot
Go to Top of Page

Sleeplessnashadow
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  06:39:58 AM  Show Profile Send Sleeplessnashadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there.

Not sure who was supposed to be pretty bored, but the reason your carbine is stamped Bavaria Rural Police is because it was mandated by the Allied Control Council Directive 16 in October 1945 that the carbines could be issued to the German Frontier Police (Border Guard) and the Landespolizei, and the carbines had to be marked in some manner that identified the agency using them. The M1 carbine was only issued in the American Occupation Zone districts. Bavaria, Berlin, Bremen Enclave, Hessen, and Wurttemberg-Baden.

Each of the military governments in these districts decided what marks would go on the carbines in their district. In Bavaria they mandated it be in English on the top of the receiver to the left of the bolt. The term "Rural Police" is an American term. Who used it was the Bavaria Landespolizei.

I have a website and do research devoted to the M1 carbines that served in Germany and Austria post WWII.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Nice lookin' Rock-Ola. If you'd like to learn more about other non-GI markings on your carbine, have a look at my website or send me an e-mail at Jim@BavarianM1Carbines.com

Jim

Edited by - Sleeplessnashadow on 07/29/2007 06:41:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

WarBaby
Administrator

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  12:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit WarBaby's Homepage Send WarBaby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Welcome to the forum - good to have you here.
Go to Top of Page

Devious6
Veteran Member

1059 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  1:06:55 PM  Show Profile Send Devious6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool site. I'll have to spend some time over there when I have our holiday break in a few weeks.

Mark V
COL, USA (Ret.)

"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"
Go to Top of Page

1925Simson
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  5:34:30 PM  Show Profile Send 1925Simson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting marking, as a guy I knew had one marked on a luger and everyone insisted it was a fake "engraving" and he had it "restored".

A shame evidently...

Ed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2