M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Second Amendment Forum
 Simple Kentucky Gun Information
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMrMitch

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  6:44:30 PM  Show Profile Send TheMrMitch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoy this Kentucky gun tidbit.

Traveler's checklist:

*Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

*Machine Gun Ownership: no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only

*Firearm law uniformity: preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state

*Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute

*Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted

*Concealed carry: licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states

*Vehicle carry and transportation: firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns may be carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)

Kentucky's rolling hills and tree-covered mountains provide the perfect
setting for any Hollywood production about the early pioneers of the Ohio valley.
Firearms carry in those days was essential for survival. Fortunately for gun-owners,
Kentucky still maintains a healthy respect for this heritage in its firearm laws.

Kentucky requires a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's
person. The State Police issue such permits through the local sheriff of the
applicant's home county for a five year term. Kentucky does not grant permits to
nonresidents but will recognize any permit issued by another state. Kentucky
licenses allow the concealed carry of any deadly weapon by the permittee.

A traveler without a permit may carry loaded firearms in a vehicle if the
weapons are in plain view. Kentucky allows anyone to carry a loaded handgun in a
visible belt holster or on the dashboard or passenger seat of one's car. Glove
compartment carry is also considered legitimate as long the compartment is of the
factory-installed variety on the passenger's side. Console boxes and seat pockets
are not legitimate areas for unlicensed carry. Carrying a handgun in one of these
areas is the same as placing the weapon under the seat. Both modes of carry are
limited to persons possessing carry licenses. Rifles and shotguns may be carried
loaded and in plain view. The weapons may be secured in gun racks, gun slings, or
commercial gun cases located anywhere in the vehicle except concealed about the person.

Travelers may carry loaded firearms in plain view while on foot in virtually any
public area of the state. Such carry is best limited to visible belt holsters secured on
one's hip. Kentucky's strong preemption law prevents this activity, as well as most
others involving firearms, from being locally regulated. Recently, employers were
further prohibited from preventing employees from carrying firearms in their vehicles
while the vehicles are parked on company property.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

m1mike
Veteran Member

USA
2032 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  6:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send m1mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to visit Kentucky. Maybe I will now due to your post. Thanks.......

Go to Top of Page

H.S. Mantooth Jr.

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send H.S. Mantooth Jr. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like "Shangri-la", an absolute paradise .

Regards.
Stan
Go to Top of Page

Larry D.
Advanced Member

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  8:49:20 PM  Show Profile Send Larry D. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It certainly can be.
Metcalfe County is a VERY pleasant memory from childhood.
I wish my kids and I could take a lengthy vacation there.
I really do miss it.
Go to Top of Page

MrJitters
Veteran Member

USA
1922 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  07:12:38 AM  Show Profile Send MrJitters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMrMitch

Enjoy this Kentucky gun tidbit.

Traveler's checklist:

*Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

*Machine Gun Ownership: no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only

*Firearm law uniformity: preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state

*Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute

*Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted

*Concealed carry: licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states

*Vehicle carry and transportation: firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns may be carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)

Kentucky's rolling hills and tree-covered mountains provide the perfect
setting for any Hollywood production about the early pioneers of the Ohio valley.
Firearms carry in those days was essential for survival. Fortunately for gun-owners,
Kentucky still maintains a healthy respect for this heritage in its firearm laws.

Kentucky requires a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's
person. The State Police issue such permits through the local sheriff of the
applicant's home county for a five year term. Kentucky does not grant permits to
nonresidents but will recognize any permit issued by another state. Kentucky
licenses allow the concealed carry of any deadly weapon by the permittee.

A traveler without a permit may carry loaded firearms in a vehicle if the
weapons are in plain view. Kentucky allows anyone to carry a loaded handgun in a
visible belt holster or on the dashboard or passenger seat of one's car. Glove
compartment carry is also considered legitimate as long the compartment is of the
factory-installed variety on the passenger's side. Console boxes and seat pockets
are not legitimate areas for unlicensed carry. Carrying a handgun in one of these
areas is the same as placing the weapon under the seat. Both modes of carry are
limited to persons possessing carry licenses. Rifles and shotguns may be carried
loaded and in plain view. The weapons may be secured in gun racks, gun slings, or
commercial gun cases located anywhere in the vehicle except concealed about the person.

Travelers may carry loaded firearms in plain view while on foot in virtually any
public area of the state. Such carry is best limited to visible belt holsters secured on
one's hip. Kentucky's strong preemption law prevents this activity, as well as most
others involving firearms, from being locally regulated. Recently, employers were
further prohibited from preventing employees from carrying firearms in their vehicles
while the vehicles are parked on company property.

Welcome to the forum!

Isn't is great living in a state that has so few gun laws. Just bugs the crap out of those gun grabbing liberal flat landers doesn't it? (You know who you are!)

In reading your synopsis of Kentucky's gun laws, it's interesting that Vermont (my home state) only differs in two ways from yours.

1. We require NO concealed carry permit. Only Vermont & Alaska allow this.
2. We can carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle but not a loaded rifle. This is our only restrictive law. The excuse given is to discourage road hunting during deer and moose season.

On another note, Vermont & Kentucky enjoy a unique relationship in that Vermont was admitted into the union in 1791 as a free state, in part, to offset Kentucky's admission in 1792 as a slave state.

MrJ

GCA & NRA Member
Type 03FFL C&R
Royal Order of the Bluenose
Vermont Republic

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - MrJitters on 04/16/2008 07:19:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

WarBaby
Administrator

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  11:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit WarBaby's Homepage Send WarBaby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds nice to me!

WarBaby
Go to Top of Page

H.S. Mantooth Jr.

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:18:33 AM  Show Profile Send H.S. Mantooth Jr. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, me too. Yesterday, the wife, right out of the blue asked me where I would like to move to. The question really took me by surprise because she has always refused to even talk about moving. Well, the question stunned me completely, so much so that I was speachless for awhile . For those that know me, I not always so quiet , in fact, I have been known to stir up the pot with my mouth, always in fun though.

Regards.
Stan

Edited by - H.S. Mantooth Jr. on 04/17/2008 10:19:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Buck Seibert
Greenhorn Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  12:05:53 AM  Show Profile Send Buck Seibert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stan,
you won't find the weather as nice here in KY as there in CA but I think you would enjoy all the other things the state has to offer.
We are looked upon by many as a bunch of dumb Hillbillys but once here they usually change their mind. Lots of good hunting, fishing and shooting available. Good gun shows in Louisville on a regular basis. Some of the best gun trading goes on in some counties during their "Court Days". Come visit sometime.

Buck Seibert
USAF Jet Engine Mechanic
1962-1966
Duty at MacDill AFB and Davis-Monthan AFB
Life Member NRA
Life Member Air Force Assn.
Life Member League of Kentucky Sportsmen
Life Member Campbell County Historical & Genealogical Society
Life Member Campbell County Game & Fish Protective Assn.
Life Member F-4 Phantom Society
Go to Top of Page

H.S. Mantooth Jr.

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  09:34:28 AM  Show Profile Send H.S. Mantooth Jr. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buck;

That sounds like it's right up my alley. I could go for that in a heartbeat. The wife, uh uh. Too far from the grandkids . I'm a redneck at heart, many times I'm told that by the way I some time do things . One of my sister's and brother-in-laws visited there a couple of years ago. She told me about the beauty and the friendyness of the folks there. She also sent me a CD from a shop they visited that made, not sure of the spelling, Dulcimers? I'll tell you, I had just as soon listen to some good "Bluegrass" music as any thing that is offered out there today . Thanks for the invite. One of these day's when we take the drive to visit relations back in Michigan, we plan to stop in AZ, OK, MO, then swing back through ID, OR, and all interesting places along the way .

Regards.
Stan
Go to Top of Page

waymmetal
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile Send waymmetal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i live in boone county ky, i am not a big fan of the state but its gun laws are pretty sweet. the neighbors at my dads house called the cops the other day cause we were shotting, the cops showed up and the conversation went as follows...
cop- what are you boys doing
me- Shooting
cop- alright keep it safe
the end
its awesome
Go to Top of Page

Johnsena
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile Send Johnsena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your kind information. Actually I am missing it.

[url=http://www.sawtooth.com/index.php/member/2287/] infant urns[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Kreeg Commander
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile Send Kreeg Commander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waymmetal

i live in boone county ky, i am not a big fan of the state but its gun laws are pretty sweet. the neighbors at my dads house called the cops the other day cause we were shotting, the cops showed up and the conversation went as follows...
cop- what are you boys doing
me- Shooting
cop- alright keep it safe
the end
its awesome

Probably said neighbors hate you for using military-style semiautos lawfully, but think its their God given right to live 'Grand Theft Auto: The Life Style'. Cool Cop! Glad to meet ya, bud! GO KENTUCKY!

Jesus Christ-he died for my sins

I like Mini14s and like weaponry, because they help protect those whom I love.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2