M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 What WWII weapon can hold it's own today.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garand and a 1911 on the hip

OGCA Life Member, NRA, GCA,
Dad of a NJROTC Shooting Team Member
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Devious6
Veteran Member

1059 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  06:17:08 AM  Show Profile Send Devious6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting article in the news the other day about the lack of stopping power of the .223 round in an urban setting in Iraq. Bring out the Garands!

Mark V
"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"
Go to Top of Page

Deputy

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  10:20:08 AM  Show Profile Send Deputy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Devious6

Interesting article in the news the other day about the lack of stopping power of the .223 round in an urban setting in Iraq. Bring out the Garands!

Mark V
"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"

Good grief...deja vu all over again.

Go to Top of Page

IVI1Carbine68

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile Send IVI1Carbine68 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mosin Nagant would be nice. AND cheap. 1+ to the carbine, garand, thompson... Nice pics of the Stg by the way.

-------MySignature-------
"When life gives you lemons, you find someone who's life is giving them vodka. Then you have a party"-J.L.

Soon to be a proud owner of a M1 Carbine.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Long
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  6:05:10 PM  Show Profile Send Jim Long a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That STG is wicked cool looking..But to me it really brings out the efficiency of the M1 carbine or M2 at less than half the weight! Make up the difference in more ammo for the carbine.. Make mine the M1 carbine!
Go to Top of Page

tanker 272
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  7:47:56 PM  Show Profile Send tanker 272 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How come you guys left out the m-14 ?I think the ma deuce and the m 85 should be in there though ff you dont mind carrying or cleaning them.
Go to Top of Page

SMG1

USA
840 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  07:57:26 AM  Show Profile Send SMG1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tanker 272

How come you guys left out the m-14 ?I think the ma deuce and the m 85 should be in there though ff you dont mind carrying or cleaning them.

the M14 wasn't a weapon used in W.W.2
Go to Top of Page

shotgunjoel
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile Send shotgunjoel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take a 1911, M2 MG, or a PPSh. A Tokarev TT-33 is still used all over the place. The BAR is completely outdated, there are much better, lighter alternatives out there. Thompsons and grease guns are a lot heavier than modern weapons.
Go to Top of Page

mkk41
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  2:50:23 PM  Show Profile Send mkk41 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly wouldn't mind if all I had was an M-3 Grease Gun.
Go to Top of Page

m1mike
Veteran Member

USA
2032 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile Send m1mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been reading several stories of guys using M1 Carbines in Carbine Classes with AR-15s. The Carbines are doing great and are actually winning.

Go to Top of Page

Dollor Bill
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  12:13:36 PM  Show Profile Send Dollor Bill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperbob

Don't forget according to the geneva conventions, ma deuce is not an anti personnel weapon.

That's why we aim at their LBE, weapon or pack!!

Regards,
Bill
Go to Top of Page

samnev
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:29:32 AM  Show Profile Send samnev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both a Bren Mk 1 and a Bar and while both would be viable today I prefer the Bren hands down over the BAR.
Go to Top of Page

jubilaaahhh
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile Send jubilaaahhh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just changed the stock of m2 carbine to folding stock for my CQB and put good scope and 6-9 bipod to my M1 garand for Sniping wallahhh MW3 hehehe...
Go to Top of Page

caferacer

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  10:29:35 PM  Show Profile Send caferacer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colt 1911A1 or even a 1911, the .45ACP is still a fantastic round, and John Browning designed a fantastic pistol to go with it
mine may be 96 years old, but I will still put it up against 90% of the new copies out there being made and sold today
Go to Top of Page

Deputy

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  11:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send Deputy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic question can be listed under the "it depends" section.
I am also a big fan of the Mosin Nagant and for long range accuracy the Finnish M39 version can't be beat. The Finns were using it as a sniper rifle out to 500 yards with plenty of kills and NO scope sight!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question is can they hold their own today and I think the answer over all is yes they can.
Go to Top of Page

jubilaaahhh
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile Send jubilaaahhh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree to bro tuna, as long as u have available ammo and or mags and the best thing is to condition our WWII weapons not to jammed so that even if its old ,we can still win during the fight...
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  4:34:55 PM  Show Profile Send jlwilliams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two WWII guns that have so far escaped mention are revolvers and pump shotguns. Both types of guns were used by Allies and Axis forces in support and security roles and still are widely used worldwide for the same. Both platforms were old hat before the war but both platforms are being released as new models by modern manufacturers every year. While a Ruger SP series revolver is quite a bit modernized over a Webley, a WWII revolver is still as outdated and still as useful as it was when it was new. In the case of pump action shotguns, nothing has changed nor is likely to. The only difference between a WWII Savage, Winchester or Ithaca and any new version is that back then they were called "trench" shotguns and now they are called "riot" shotguns.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You nearly got it right with the WWII shotguns. The trench guns had bayonet lugs and hand guards. The riot guns didn't have either. Plus, there were several semi-autos as well as the pumps; The Remington M11 and the Savage 720 for example.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

WrathChild
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile Send WrathChild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my carbine WRECKS ar-15s & ak's out to 150 yds, past that i whip out the Enfield in .303
only "modern" weapon system i'd consider to be vastly superior to WWII tech is the M-14, it's just ridiculously good.
Go to Top of Page

stickhauler

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  05:46:46 AM  Show Profile Send stickhauler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WrathChild

my carbine WRECKS ar-15s & ak's out to 150 yds, past that i whip out the Enfield in .303
only "modern" weapon system i'd consider to be vastly superior to WWII tech is the M-14, it's just ridiculously good.

In semi-auto mode perhaps, on full auto, not so much. And I love shooting the M-14 myself, but from what I experienced with a full auto model, accuracy dropped significantly. The M-60 was better if it required full-auto.
Go to Top of Page

capt.koolaid
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send capt.koolaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were dropped off in a war zone with any ww2 arsenal I choose my first choice would be the Browning automatic rifle. Second choice would be an m2 carbine if they were available back then, m1 carbine if not. After that I'd pick an Enfield for distance and an sks if the rumors are true that they were used in an experimental deployment in the final days of Nazi resistance. Hopefully I could appropriate a walther p38 or Nazi hipower for a sidearm. If not I'd go for a victory model 38 special.
Go to Top of Page

Deputy

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  7:41:48 PM  Show Profile Send Deputy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stickhauler

quote:
Originally posted by WrathChild

In semi-auto mode perhaps, on full auto, not so much. And I love shooting the M-14 myself, but from what I experienced with a full auto model, accuracy dropped significantly. The M-60 was better if it required full-auto.

Full auto belongs on machine guns, not standard battle rifles. It just wastes ammo. Plus, afer the first couple of rounds, the rest are spraying everywhere. Plus how many rounds do you need in one body to kill it? Oops...I forgot. You are talking about the M16 gopher killer. Yeah, you will need multiple impacts to get the job done.
M14 and other .30 caliber rifles don't need full auto to get the job done. Ever hear a WW2 vet say "I wish my M1 Garand had full auto"?
Machines guns...full auto.
Battle rifles....semi-auto.

Go to Top of Page

ScottWashburn
Greenhorn Member

26 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  5:03:48 PM  Show Profile Send ScottWashburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The M2 .50 cal HMG gets my vote. While a lot of fine weapons have been mentioned here, nearly all are no longer in front line military service. Except for the Ma Deuce. A 90 year old design and its still the US military's standard heavy machine gun. Some things just cannot be improved upon :)
Go to Top of Page

ray
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  6:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send ray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 choices Colt 1911, M1941 Johnson and the M1 Carbine everything covered with that list.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2