M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 Favorite 1911 model .45 ( Why )
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys I have a Colt .45 1911 Lightweight Commander which is a dang good shooter. Payed $175.00 for it at an OGCA show in Columbus Ohio about 1983 or so. I'm looking to get another 1911 model soon to be a shooter and retire the Colt. I'm looking hard at the Springfields. Any suggestions ? Funds also play into the factor (limited).

Thanks

OGCA Life Member, NRA, GCA,
Dad of a NJROTC Shooting Team Member

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

SMG1

USA
840 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile Send SMG1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i had a W.W.2 Springfield repop when they first came out wish i'd kept it. i would eat anything i feed it and was darn reliable. Springfield makes a good product and they won't hurt your wallet.
Go to Top of Page

MrJitters
Veteran Member

USA
1922 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile Send MrJitters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SMG1

i had a W.W.2 Springfield repop when they first came out wish i'd kept it. i would eat anything i feed it and was darn reliable. Springfield makes a good product and they won't hurt your wallet.

+1 on that. Check out this beauty:

You must be logged in to see this link.

MrJ

GCA & NRA Member
Type 03FFL C&R
Royal Order of the Bluenose
Vermont Republic

Go to Top of Page

m1mike
Veteran Member

USA
2032 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  7:16:33 PM  Show Profile Send m1mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rock Island Armory makes a nice inexpensive 1911.

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll stay with my USGI Colt A1. Nov. 43. It eats anything I care to feed it and spits it out with excellent accuracy. It shoots better than I can!

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  7:58:20 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my Colt as well, not a tack driver, but will pound a roofing nail home.....lolol. Just looking for something to put rounds down range with, to take some heat off the commander. I see that High Standard is making a GI model also.

Edited by - Pappy on 03/26/2008 8:06:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

SMG1

USA
840 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  06:06:29 AM  Show Profile Send SMG1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Highstandard is a fairly good one too comparable witht he Springfield the triggers are nice right out of the box. i had a Rock Island it went back to the shop i got it from it stripped the brass off the projectile,it had extreme feeding problems.
Go to Top of Page

usafretired

711 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:04:38 AM  Show Profile Send usafretired a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you going for a standard 1911 look or a target setup?????

I shoot a Taurus PT 1911 in a IDPA match regularly . It came fully loaded (trigger job, polished through, sights, ambidextrous safety) and cost me less them $600.00 out the door. It shot extremely well out of the box and has never malfunction once since I bought it, no mater what type of ammo I put through it.

I would put it up against any Kimber out there.

USAF Retired 1971 - 1991, Life Member NRA, SASS, IDPA
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  7:12:24 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of you guys have tried full wadcutters in your .45s? Mine eats them up like they were hardball! No feeding problems even with those.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
jimb16, What load you use with that?

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using the cast Lyman wadcutter with 4.0 Bullseye.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
Go to Top of Page

Deputy

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile Send Deputy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhh...my favorite handgun. I got a safe full of them

Things you should know about some of them:

Springfield Armory: All forged gun made in Brazil, assembled in USA. They use non GI-spec firing pins in them. They are from a .38 Super. So a spare 1911A1 firing pin won't fit. Evidently the .38 Super firing pin is more durable so that's why they use it.

Auto Ordnance: The final machining on the frame skips a step. So if you compare the location of the grips and frame on an AO gun, and the grips and frame on other 1911A1s, it's noticeable. Gun is investment cast steel.

Colt: Not all steel any more. Not even all metal. Some parts like the mainspring housing are PLASTIC. They still work okay, though.

Smith and Wesson: At first glance looks just like a 1911A1. Glance closer...it uses an EXTERNAL ejector. But S&W has been installing external ejectors for a LONG time. No issues have surfaced with them. I have two of them including a special edition Doug Koenig model. All forged steel and all made in USA:

Go to Top of Page

Larry D.
Advanced Member

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile Send Larry D. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If looking for a shooter only, Rock Island is OK.
I've never been a huge Springer fan.
I have an old Norkie that has several thousand rounds through.
Colts are my thing, almost as an accident.
Paras are kinda nice too.
Dan Wesson puts out a nice 1911.
Lots of options out there.
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  3:37:32 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, lots of opinions. I guess I'll just start playing around with them at the stores. Colt was my thing also, I just don't know about the newer ones. The S&W's look nice also. Maybe I should forget about the 45 and take that money and get another carbine (Saginaw) and some ammo while the getting is good.

Edited by - Pappy on 03/28/2008 3:42:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clyde from Carolina
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  4:07:10 PM  Show Profile Send Clyde from Carolina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a real buyers market right now in 1911s. Everybody and there brother is making them. I have owned a number of the relatively inexpensive Colt 1991A1s and they are good shooters, too, for a Colt man like yourself. Just what you needed, another option! Grin.
Go to Top of Page

SMG1

USA
840 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  5:54:37 PM  Show Profile Send SMG1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pappy get yourself on of these a Sig Sauer in .45 the P220 it looks like my P226 in 9mm which is probably alot better if you like hi capacity type pistols. if its the .45 you want, go with the Sig.

Edited by - jimb16 on 08/21/2012 7:56:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

317 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  11:57:02 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to look at the Sig this weekend.........Options are what I'm looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Clyde from Carolina
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile Send Clyde from Carolina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I like the 1911, the SIGs really are fine pistols. The P226 in 9mm is truly one of the great modern sidearms. The British SAS and Navy SEALs seem to like it. My experience with the P220 is much less, but they are nice and many friends swear by them. If you wanted a good .45, they are worht lookiong at. Remember the old Browning BDAs in .45? Same gun.

I did have a buddy who told me he had a lemon P220 that wouldn't feed properly, so I guess they happen every now and then. I think the P226 is THE Sig, personally. But the P220 is a darned good weapon too.
Go to Top of Page

Deputy

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  09:59:22 AM  Show Profile Send Deputy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a BDA back when they first came out. Only downside was it wasn't a button release for the mag. I still prefer the 1911 design because of parts availability and the ease of takedown. I can take a 1911 down to it's bare frame in just a few minutes. My Walther P-99, while a nice pistol (and the choice of James Bond), is like most modern semi-autos. Like clockwork inside the receiver and you need all kinds of special tools to work on them and it's NOT recommended that you try stripping it completely down.

Edited by - Deputy on 03/29/2008 11:54:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

SMG1

USA
840 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send SMG1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shortly after the BDA they got rid of the European style mag release went with the 1911 style they should have done that when it was BDA
Go to Top of Page

Cleitus
Advanced Member

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  8:16:36 PM  Show Profile Send Cleitus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite pistol. Only Have one 1911 left. Believe it or not, it went through both wars. Made in 1918. Finish is around 80 per cent and US property has been ground off. real tight pistol and it feeds everything, including Semi wadcutters Except those that are too wide. Georgia Arms makes the perfect Semi wadcutters for this pistol. STays loaded near the bed.
Go to Top of Page

H.S. Mantooth Jr.

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  9:58:32 PM  Show Profile Send H.S. Mantooth Jr. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to own a Colt Govt. Model, commercial copy until it was stolen back in 1995. I still have my Commander in 9mm. It is a sweet thing. I also have the RUGER P90. I have had no problems with it, it feeds with the best of them but, it feels too clumsy in my hands. The right side of the trigger guard presses into my middle finger and kinda smarts. I would not buy another. My brother shoots the Springfield XD45, one of the GLOCKS, don't know the model, and also the SIG P220. He loves them all but leans towards the GLOCK. I have shot his SIG and that would be my choice.

Regards.
Stan
Go to Top of Page

8thAirForceRemembered
Advanced Member

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  11:03:21 AM  Show Profile Send 8thAirForceRemembered a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Springfield Armory GI .45 in the original finish. Excellent handling and balance. It did take a few hundred rounds to break it in but now works flawlessly.

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:13:37 PM  Show Profile Send grumpygy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have a few. Favorite is my kimber Raptor II Hit what I want with it and love the trigger. But just to big for Concealed Carry.

For that I have a Para WartHog in 45. Carries 10+1 Great trigger but is a little bit of a hand full because of Size.

Did Pick up a Taurus 1911 in SS. Sorry but trigger is not as good as my kimber, But do not have tha many rounds thrue it yet. Also do not like the sights. Will work on that, still looking for replacements.

Then one not fired yet. kimber Ultra Covert in 45. Smaller than the Para so wil make a great Concealed Carry piece. But with the smaller grip area may not be as controlable. Do like the Lazar Grips.
Go to Top of Page

jjadkins1
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  4:09:53 PM  Show Profile Send jjadkins1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My much maligned Auto Ordnance GI 1911 is a great shooter for me and incredibly accurate.
Go to Top of Page

8thAirForceRemembered
Advanced Member

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile Send 8thAirForceRemembered a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pappy:

Don't laugh or hit Delete. If you are looking for something in .45 ACP at least consider the Bersa in .45 ACP. I had one and traded it to buy my son his first rifle (Ruger 10/22).

Comfortable to shoot, easy on the wallet. Very reliable and eats anything. Just something to think about.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2