M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Irwin-Pedersen
 Handguard Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drill sergeant

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  2:07:03 PM  Show Profile Send drill sergeant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hare posted this question on another site, but no one had ever seen one like this. Anyone here familiar with this?

Note the "Flaming Bomb" far right. This handguard is from an SG Bavarian that can be seen at the site detaqiled in the Bavarian section of this site.

Thanks!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Hollywood
Advanced Member

193 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile Send Hollywood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably lateral transfer from Rock-Ola (RSG) to Robert Irwin company (IR-IP).
Go to Top of Page

m1mike
Veteran Member

USA
2032 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send m1mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will give you $10 for it..... Just kidding.... I guess you can find all kinds of strange stuff. Things were kinda confusing during WW II. Thanks for the photo.

Edited by - m1mike on 07/03/2007 8:49:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Newscotlander
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile Send Newscotlander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drill Sargent, Can I use your picture of the hand guard in the Carbine Club newletter? I tried to email you, but can't.
Go to Top of Page

WarBaby
Administrator

USA
1885 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit WarBaby's Homepage Send WarBaby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newscotlander

Drill Sargent, Can I use your picture of the hand guard in the Carbine Club newletter? I tried to email you, but can't.

Ill be more than happy to forward your message to him.

WarBaby
Go to Top of Page

Newscotlander
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  4:20:11 PM  Show Profile Send Newscotlander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

drill sergeant

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  9:27:49 PM  Show Profile Send drill sergeant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newscotlander:

Please feel free to use the photo for the Carbine Club newsletter. Please post the results (if any) on this site. Thanks for the courtesy of your question.
Go to Top of Page

Newscotlander
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  10:40:50 PM  Show Profile Send Newscotlander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

painter777
Greenhorn Member

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  5:51:53 PM  Show Profile Send painter777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The R in RSG doesn't stand for Rock-Ola. The R in RSG stands for the Robert Irwin Co, they were a furniture company and the prime contractor for building stocks for Saginaw. Here is a picture of a type II oval cut Hi-Wood made for S'G' by the Robert Irwin Co, stamped RSG in the slingwell.
Please note the 2 wood patches or repairs done by them, being a furniture manufacturer this would have been an easy task for them to salvage a valuable piece of usable War time walnut.
RSG-S'G' stock:
Boxed S'G' and CC:
Pick up a RMC stock and compare it to a RSG and you'll notice quite a difference.
The handguard above I've seen one like it before but it didn't have the ordnance bomb, or atleast it wasn't visible.
My thoughts are that it might be one left over from the IR-IP line that got stamped RSG when S'G' took over the cancelled IP contract. S'G' was using anything that passed inspections from the leftover IP parts.
A rare piece it is, nice find and thanks for sharing.

Regards
Charlie-painter777

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3149 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Painter has it right. Looks like an IP handguard that Saginaw decided to use after it got inspected to make sure it was up to snuff.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

norwich93
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  1:34:01 PM  Show Profile Send norwich93 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely an early IP handguard, I would willing to say this was a worker who tested the new RSG stamp on the handguard right after Pedersen lost their contract or it was an error at the factory. Either way it is a cool piece to hold on to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2